About Defenders of Children
Founded in 2007, Defenders of Children is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides free trauma-informed and healing-focused legal and counseling services to children and their families throughout Arizona. With a focus on helping survivors of child abuse and other forms of domestic and sexual violence, Defenders of Children not only works directly with children and their families, but also partners with other victim advocacy organizations, including domestic violence shelters and residential treatment centers, as well as state, county, and local officials who share our concern for the welfare of children and our goal to promote healthier, violence-free families.
Defenders of Children
- Protects and advocates for victims and survivors of child abuse, domestic violence, dating/intimate partner violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking
- Helps children and families understand and exercise their legal rights
- Advises and represents children and families in legal proceedings
- Provides specialized trauma therapy by expert clinicians for victims of family violence
- Identifies and addresses inadequacies in local and statewide legal and clinical mental health resources and systems designed to protect children
- Works to improve those systems by encouraging positive changes in guidelines, protocols, and laws to ensure the safety of families and the well-being of children
- Organizes and conducts educational trainings for community members and professionals involved in child protection, domestic violence awareness/advocacy, and victim services partners
- Provides court-ordered supervised parenting time services to help reunite and heal parents and children in a safe, therapeutic environment.
Defenders of Children delivers services and employs without regard for race, religion, color, sex, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or national origin. If you believe you have been discriminated against, please email our Civil Rights Contact, at DNewstone@defendersofchildren.org for assistance.