Founded in 2008, Defenders of Children provides a wide range of trauma-informed legal and counseling services to victims of crime and their families. When children and their families have exhausted available resources through public service groups, yet the children remain at risk, we can also provide forensic and expert witness services. We also serve as public advocates and partner with such agencies as the Attorney General’s Office, the State Bar, County Family and Juvenile Courts, the Department of Child Safety, and State Legislators.
Defenders of Children
- Protects and advocates for victims of crime, including domestic/family/sexual violence and child abuse
- Helps children and families understand and exercise their legal rights
- Advises and represents children and families in legal proceedings
- Provides specialized trauma therapy by expert clinicians for victims of family violence
- Identifies and addresses inadequacies in local and statewide legal and child protection systems
- Works to improve those systems by encouraging positive changes in guidelines, protocols, and laws to ensure the safety of non-offending families and the well-being of children
- Organizes and conducts educational trainings for community members and professionals involved in child protection, domestic violence awareness/advocacy, and victim services partners
- Provides court-ordered supervised parenting time services to help reunite and heal parents and children in a safe, therapeutic environment.
Defenders of Children delivers services and employs without regard for race, religion, color, sex, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or national origin. If you believe you have been discriminated against, please email our Civil Rights Contact, at DNewstone@defendersofchildren.org for assistance.