The legal system can be very intimidating, especially for victims of crime. It is easy to become overwhelmed, and hiring an attorney can be very expensive. At Defenders of Children, our dedicated team of expert attorneys, paralegals, and legal support staff provide a wide range of trauma-informed legal services at no cost to our clients.
On a case-by-case basis, our legal services include:
- Full representation in court
- Legal document preparation
- Legal advocacy and other brief services
- Legal counsel and advice
- Legal information
On a case-by-case basis, we can help clients in each of the following areas:
- Representation as Victim’s Counsel in Criminal Cases
- Legal Separation
- Child Custody (Legal Decision-Making & Parenting Time)
- Child Support
- Termination of Parental Rights
Please Note: We cannot handle DCS dependency cases
- Orders of Protection
- Injunctions Against Harassment
Other Civil Legal Matters
- Housing (Including Eviction Prevention, Lease Termination, and Violations of Title VI)
- Consumer (Including Predatory Lending and Violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act)
- Education (Including Violations of Title IX)
- Employment (including Violations of Title VII)
- Other Civil Rights Issues (Including Restorations and Set-Asides)
All legal services are provided for FREE to victims of crime under our grant funding eligibility.
If you are a victim of crime who needs legal assistance to protect yourself or a loved one, the team at Defenders of Children is here to help.